Empire Apartment - Auckland City Accommodation , New Zealand: ideal location for international students
Accommodation in Auckland
What should you be aware of in renting apartments and accommodation in Auckland? Are there hidden charges other than the weekly rent quoted by the landlord?
- Is the rent quoted include electricity, water usage, hot water, SkyTV, telephone and Internet connection fees?
- What about the furnitures, appliances, bedding and towels?
- What about laundry?
- How is the safety and security of the accommodation?
- Does it have a property management that will be ready to help you?
- What about transport to school etc?
- What about during the holiday? Can I keep my reservation/room?
- How much to keep my room during that holiday period?
1. Is the rent quoted include electricity, water usage, hot water, SkyTV, telephone and Internet connection fees?
Empire apartment rents include electricity and water usage. Telephone and internet connections are already available so there are no connection fees.
Unfurnished apartment rents usually do not include any of the above, which means, although it looks cheaper, you will have to pay electricity, water usage, Sky TV, telephone and internet connection in addition to the base rent. This usually turns out to be much more expensive.
To set up an electricity account there is a connection fee of $40 and the monthly charges, which may vary from $50 - $150 per month depending on usage. - In Empire electricity is included in the rate
For water usage charges you need to ask the landlord if there is a water usage charge. Depending on usage the water charges may vary. - In Empire the weekly rate include unlimited cold and hot water usage
To subscribe to SkyTV you pay a connection/installation fee of NZ$100 and $56.10 monthly charge for a basic Sky Digital plan. Extra channels will be charged in addition. - Empire has a TV Lounge with Sky TV channels installed
2. What about the furnitures, appliances, bedding and towels?
For unfurnished apartments, expect to spend NZ$3,000 or more for purchasing basic furniture and supplies, including beds, desks, chairs, pots, pans, glassware, plates, electrical appliances, linen, towels and other household materials.
In Empire, every room comes with beds, desk, wardrobe, lamps, fully equipped kitchennete with fridge and microwave, and bathroom(s).
3. What about laundry?
Unfurnished apartments do not include any laundry services. If the apartment does not have any on-site laundry to wash your clothes, you will have to wash your laundry at a public coin-operated laundry.
In Empire, there are 2 coin-operated laundry rooms with washing machines and dryers.
4. How is the safety and security of the accommodation?
Does the apartment have secured front entrance and video security cameras monitoring the common areas? Do you need proximity cards to use the lifts and open the front entrance? How safe is your building and you in case there is a fire? These are questions you will need to ask yourself when choosing apartments
In Empire, there is a fire safety system and tenant security systems designed by acredited companies. Proximity cards are used to ensure only the right persons can gain access to parts of the building, ensuring tenant security. All of these come with no extra cost.
5. Does it have a property management that will be ready to help you?
Is there a night duty manager on site to help if you have any emergencies such as blown lamp at night or hot water failure? If there is none, you may have to spend the night in the dark or you may be forced to have cold shower. On-site manager can greatly help you in these types of situation.
In Empire, there is a friendly on-site manager that is always ready to help you outside normal reception hours.
6. What about transport to school, etc?
Transport is a big issue in Auckland. How do you get to school from your apartment? Do you have to take one or more buses to get to school? What is the weekly cost to travel back and forth from your school to your apartment? How long would it take you to travel? What is the cost to maintain a motorvehicle (car)? Will there be any parking in your school?
The cost for a bus in Auckland for 2 to 5 stages (part of a route) ranges from NZ$2.60 - NZ$5.40. Ten rides per week would cost around $50, or $200 per month. The average time between each stop is about 10-20 minutes. Buses arrive at intervals of 20 minutes (moderate route) to 60 minutes (suburban stops). Depending on the distance and where you live, it may take from 30 minutes to more than an hour per day to commute.
Maintaining a car can be quite costly. There are annual registration cost of around $300, petrol cost of around $2,000 upwards per year and parking costs (around $3-$6 per hour in the city). Parking can also be a very big problem as Auckland City does not have enough parking spaces for the number of cars in it.
With Empire being in the central city and just in the university precint, you will not have to worry about transportation as it would be very close to walk - 10 minutes walk to Universities.
7. During the summer holidays November to February; will the accommodations allow me to keep my room for the next school year?
If you reserve a room for the following year before the end of the schooyear, the accommodation may or may not assign you the same room. If you want to ensure you get the same room you will have to pay for the room during the school holidays.
In Empire, you normally only need to pay half-rate, or if you leave for longer than a month you may qualify for a special deal.
8. How much do I have to pay in order for them to hold the room for me when I return from the holidays?
If you pay the full rent the apartment will hold the room for you. Some apartments may negotiate the rent for the holidays (say half price) and allow you to leave your luggage and personal belongings in the room and lock up the room during the holidays
- How to apply to stay at Empire?
- How to confirm reservation at Empire?
- How to pay Holding Deposit and Application Fee?
- Change of arrival date
- Required Security Deposit
- Internet connection?
- Bedding package?
1. apply to stay at Empire?
To make an application please submit the Online Application Form. We will e-mail you a response within 48 hours. For any questions, please email us your questions.
If you would like to submit an online application form to reserve your space, click here.
2. Confirm reservation at Empire?
Once your application is confirmed you will be required to pay (four weeks) rental fee as a Holding Deposit and an Application Fee of $150 to secure your stay. Your reservation is confirmed when we receive your Holding Deposit and Application Fee.
The (4 weeks) Holding Deposit on your arrival becomes your first four weeks’ rental fee.
3. How to pay Holding Deposit and Application Fee?
• Please issue a Bank Cheque payable to "Empire Apartments", and mail to:
21 Whitaker Place
Auckland, New Zealand
• Authorize us by fax to charge your credit card – provide credit card, your name, card number and expiry date. Empire fax number - +649 950 9001-
• Relatives or friends in New Zealand can pay for you. We will mail/fax/e-mail you the receipt as soon as we receive your payment.
4. Change of arrival date?
You must inform Empire as early as possible in order to keep your reservation. Without notice from you Empire will cancel your reservation if you do not arrive on time and your Application Fee and Holding Deposit will not be refunded.
5. Required Security Deposit
The Security Deposit consists of six week’s rental. This will be refunded to you within 14 days after your departure from Empire, provided that all your accounts are cleared, there are no damage to furniture and equipment and the apartment is left clean and tidy.
6. Internet connection?
The data point is an access point separate from your telephone line. When you check in, you will have the opportunity to select from our several options for Internet access plans and games server access plans. Please refer to Pricing for further information on the Internet plans and pricing. Wifi is available throughout Empire Building.
7. Bedding package?
The Empire bedding package for $80 consists of: duvet, duvet cover, pillow, and mattress protector. You need to have the bedding package to stay at Empire.
General Information Top
General questions about the Empire Apartments
- What types of rooms are available?
- What should I bring to Empire?
- Can Empire arrange my airport transfers?
- Laundry facilities?
- Cooking facility?
- Any car parking available?
1. What types of rooms are available?
Each apartment has two or three rooms with a lounge, kitchen, and bathroom.You share the kitchen and bathroom with other tenant(s) in the same apartment.
3. What should I bring to Empire?
Empire's apartments are self-contained and fully furnished; residents only need to bring their personal belongings.
4. Can Empire arrange my airport transfers?
We do not provide airport transfers but there are a number of airport taxi services, such as Citicabs: (649 300111) that deliver tenants to Empire on a daily basis.
5. Laundry facilities?
Coin-operated washers and driers are available - $3 each for each load.
6. Cooking facilities?
Each apartment has cooking facilities and cooking utensils supplied. You can cook your own food or simply go to our Chinese Restaurant or cafe. A variety of foods are available.
7. Car parking available?
Hourly street parking is available in front of Empire, which is free after
6pm and weekends. Reception can provide indoor parking information.
Checklist prior to Leaving Your Home Country
Follow this checklist carefully to make sure that you have got everything you need before departing from your home country.
- Is my passport recent?
- Procedures to secure reservation at Empire?
1. Is my passport recent?
Make sure that your passport is current and valid. If not, contact your Embassy immediately.
2. Procedures to secure my stay at Empire?
Securing your stay at Empire - without initial payment of Application Fee and Holding Deposit reservations cannot be confirmed.
New Zealand Immigration - http://www.immigration.govt.nz
Arrival Procedures Top
Questions regarding arrival procedures at Empire
- What happens when I arrive at Empire?
- Paperwork on arrival?
- What do I do on arrival?
- How to solve problems encountered while settling down at Empire?
1. What happens when I arrive at Empire?
When you arrive at Empire, our friendly Reception Staff members will give you a warm welcome.
2. Paperwork on Arrival?
You will need to show:
b) Original or copy of receipt from Empire regarding the Application Fee and Holding Deposit.
3. What do I do on arrival?
On arrival you will need to sign a rental agreement for the duration of your stay with Empire. You will also be required to complete an Inventory sheet of the content of the apartment. You will be given:
A Resident Handbook
A Proximity entry Card to Empire
Any other information that will assist you in settling down at Empire
4. How to deal with problems encountered while settling down at Empire?
Feel free to contact our staff members or any of our managers for assistance.
Vacating Your Room Top
In general, Empire Staff will contact you prior to your departure date to confirm your checkout time and you can request a TAXI service, which we can arrange for. Empire does have a reliable contact if you have extra luggage e.g. computer equipment, printer, etc., which you would like to have sent back to your home country.
- Have I paid my accounts with Empire?
- Is the apartment in the same condition as when first checked in?
- When will the Security Deposit be refunded?
- Can Empire arrange for taxi to the airport?
1. Have I paid my account with Empire?
Prior to departure clear all your account balances with Empire.
2. Is the apartment in the same condition as when first checked in?
Make sure that your apartment is left in a clean and tidy condition on your day of departure.
3. When will the Security Deposit be refunded?
The Security Deposit is refunded within 14 working days after departure date, providing:
All accounts with Empire have been cleared
keys and proximity card returned
No damage to furniture and appliances
The Apartments is left clean and tidy
4. Can Empire arrange for a taxi to the airport?
Yes. You must contact the Reception at least 24 hours prior to your departure to reserve a TAXI to pick you up from Empire.
back to top
Auckland City Apartment Accommodation location - ideal for International Students